2019 Year in Review
With 2020 right around the corner, ERS shares some of our favorite 2019 highlights.
Christi Cox, CTR, joined the ERS management team in October 2019 as our new Manager of Education. Christi has been working in the Cancer Registry field since 1996, earning her CTR credential in 1999. Most recently, she was a member of the registry team at Carolina’s Healthcare (Atrium Health) where she was responsible for quality, training and education for a team of 30. Christi will lead the client education services for ERS. Welcome, Christi!
ERS would like to welcome the many facilities who have partnered with us in 2019, utilizing the CRStar Cancer Registry application for their cancer programs:
- Russell Medical Center – Alexander City, AL
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences – Little Rock, AR
- West Clinic – Germantown, TN
- Johnson Medical Center – Franklin, IN
- University of Texas Medical Branch – Galveston, TX
- Houston Medical Center, Warner Robins, GA
- Perry Hospital –Perry, GA
- Nacogdoches Medical Center – Nacogdoches, TX
- Coffee Regional Medical Center – Douglas, GA
- Emory University Hospital – Atlanta, GA
- Emory University Hospital Midtown – Atlanta, GA
- Emory Saint Joseph’s Hospital – Atlanta, GA
- Emory Johns Creek Hospital – Johns Creek, GA
- The Emory Proton Therapy Center, Atlanta, GA
ERS presented two educational webinars, both of which were approved for one NCRA credit hour (for attendance at the live presentation).
- CRStar and the 2020 Call for Data.
This webinar guided users through the 2020 Call for Data procedures of edit cleanup, data submission and Best Practices for ensuring a smooth 2020 Call for Data.
- CRStar: 2018 and Beyond
This webinar familiarized CRStar users with the new 2018 layout and registry tools, identified what changed behind the scenes, discussed the must have tools for 2018 abstraction, the edit process and the 2019 Call for Data.
If you missed either one of these presentations, you can find them on the CRStar Resource Page along with the accompanying handouts.
ERS was in attendance at several registry related functions in 2019. Along with being a sponsor at the Annual NCRA Educational Conference in Denver, CO, ERS attended the following state registry organization’s conferences:
- Florida Cancer Registrars Association
- Ohio Cancer Registrars Association
- Cancer Registrars Association of New England
- The Association of North Carolina Cancer Registrars and the South Carolina Cancer Registrars Association
- Texas Tumor Registrars Association
- Alabama Cancer Registrars Association
- Tennessee Oncology Data Analysts Association
- The Georgia Tumor Registrars Association
Additionally, Melanie Rogan, Director of Registry Services, presented Climbing the Data Mountain at the ANCCR/SCCRA Regional Conference, the GATRA Conference and the TODAA Conference. Her presentation focused on understanding industry trends, the importance and value of cancer registry data to support a cancer program, learning how to engage a cancer program’s partners, identifying how to become a knowledge center and how to market the registry, and identifying the various uses of cancer registry data.
If you didn’t get a chance to see Climbing the Data Mountain at one of the state conferences, Melanie has been selected to present it at the 2020 NCRA Annual Educational Conference in Orlando, Florida as part of the Hospital Symposium.
Several exciting enhancements to the CRStar Cancer Registry application were implemented in 2019:
- First vendor to release the complete full and final 2018 upgrade
- Introduced the new Textpad feature
- Introduced Interactive Edits
- Improved speed and performance
- New Print abstract: Print all sections, a summary or combinations of screens
- First vendor to release the 2020 Call for Data upgrade in November of 2019!
We anticipate an even more eventful 2020 and look forward to engaging with all of you in our shared mission for improved cancer care for all patients.
Coming in 2020
- Updated cancer program maintenance screen for 2020 standards
- Rapid abstract & keyboard shortcuts
- Breast program maintenance screen upgrade
- Introduction of a rectal accreditation screen